23 August, 2016
- LYF enters the market in Q2, likely to hit shelves in the coming quarters.
- Datawind grabs top position on the back of 4G foray.
- Apple sees over 100% jump in shipments, indicating a rise in C-level purchases.
Gurugram/New Delhi: According to CMR’s India Quarterly Tablet PC Market Review, 2Q CY 2016, 0.95 million Tablet PCs were sold (shipped) in India, recording a rise of about 5% when compared sequentially.
However, as against the same quarter of CY 2015, the tablet segment witnessed an 11% fall. Datawind topped the list with its share at 37.2% in 2Q CY 2016, followed by Samsung at 18.9%, Pantel (BSNL) was at the third position with 11.8% market share during the period.
As per the report, the Wi-Fi enabled devices fell marginally to around 48%, and the uptake for 4G and 3G devices, after a decline, witnessed a rise.
Apple showed its stupendous performance with over 100% rise sequentially, hinting towards an uptake in CXO purchases. Increased inclination towards i-Pads may help the tablets space to see a turnaround in the near future. Brands lining up for 4G foray also likely to contribute significantly to the tablets market.
Commenting on the tablet market, Krishna Mukherjee, Analyst at CMR, said: “The tablets market has been witnessing a fall for quite some time now. Even the number of vendors in this segment has also declined. However, during the second quarter we saw multiple vendors inking agreement for enterprise or institutional purchase which is of course a good sign. With increased CXO–level purchases, and enterprises evincing their interest, we can’t deny the fact that may be few years down the line the tablet space may see a turnaround.”
According to Amit Sharma, Analyst, CMR, “It’s time to watch whether the Chinese players create the same magic which they created in the smartphones space. Although, there are few players in the tablet market today, but again, it is a huge opportunity for them to enter this segment and rekindle the market with the right technologies, strategies, among others. From smartphones, 4G is now seeping into tablets and in a similar manner; we may also see the Chinese players diversifying to this domain.”
Notes for Editors
- This release is based on the CyberMedia Research (CMR) India Quarterly Tablet PC Market Review published at the conclusion of every calendar quarter.
- The figures captured are of both enterprise and consumer shipments.
- CyberMedia Research (CMR) uses the term ‘shipments’ to describe the number of Tablets leaving the factory premises for OEM sales or stocking by distributors and retailers. For the convenience of media, the term ‘shipments’ is sometimes replaced or used interchangeably with “sales” in the press release, but this reflects the market size in terms of units of Tablets and not their absolute value. In the case of Tablets imported into the country it represents the number leaving the first warehouse to OEMs, distributors and retailers. CyberMedia Research does not track the number of Tablets brought on their person by individual passengers landing on Indian soil from overseas destinations or ‘grey’ market Tablets (if any).
About CyberMedia Research
A part of CyberMedia, South Asia’s largest specialty media and media services group, CyberMedia Research (CMR) has been a front runner in market research, consulting and advisory services since 1986.
CMR offers research-based insights and consulting services – market intelligence, market sizing, stakeholder satisfaction, growth opportunity identification, incubation advisory and go-to-market services – covering the Information Technology, Semiconductors, Electronics & Smart Infrastructure, Government, Energy & Utilities and LifeSciences sectors, as well as the large enterprise, SMB and consumer user segments.
Cyber Media Research & Services Ltd. is an institutional member of the Market Research Society of India (www.mrsi.in).
CMR’s core value proposition encompasses a rich portfolio of syndicated reports and custom research capabilities across multiple industries, markets and geographies. CMR’s forthcoming studies include stakeholder satisfaction surveys, mega spender assessments and market mapping studies for these domains.
For Media Inquiries, please contact
For Industry Inquiries, please contact
General Manager – Research & Consulting
Industry Intelligence Group