- SanDisk dominated the market followed by Strontium and Sony.
- 16GB capacity segment continued to be the major contributor.
- SanDisk’s Cruzer Blade was the most favored pen drive model in terms of unit shipments.
Gurugram/New Delhi, August 29, 2018: The India Consumer Storage Flash Memory Market witnessed 1% decline in 1H CY2018 when compared to 2H CY2017, according to CMR’s India Consumer Storage Flash Memory Market Review for August 2018.
“With the advent of a new year, 1Q CY2018 witnessed 14% growth in terms of unit shipments. On the contrary, 2Q CY2018 witnessed 9% decline by the end because of holidays, price drop and less demand. Micro SD cards witnessed growth by just 3% on account of the start of the new year and new session. Availability of huge storage up to 64GB in the entry level smartphones has affected the Micro SD sales a lot” observed Shipra Sinha, Lead Analyst, CyberMedia Research.
In the overall India Consumer Storage Flash Memory market, SanDisk continued to dominate and contributed 51% market share in terms of units shipped. Strontium maintained its number two position and Sony replaced Samsung to be at the third spot in terms of unit shipments in 1H CY2018. Sony’s India manufacturing, strong line and variety of products has led to 40% growth in its pen drive shipments in 1H CY2018 when compared to 2H CY2017.
32GB and 64GB capacity segment continued to grow and witnessed 14% and 49% sequential growth respectively when compared to 2H CY2017.However,16GB segment was the highest contributor in the overall consumer storage market in terms of unit shipments.
According to Shipra, “The rising need of personal storage space, industrialization, advancement of technology, urbanization, penetration of electronic devices and applications in every aspect of life will drive the growth of Micro SD cards in a long run. However, rise in huge storage capacity low priced smartphones will affect its growth for some time.”
“Overall consumer storage market is anticipated to touch 30 Mn units in 2H CY2018 on account of the forthcoming festive and wedding season. Almost equal manufacturing cost as a result of the 3D technology will further shift the overall market towards higher capacities” added Shipra.
Notes for Editors
- CyberMedia Research (CMR) is a pioneering market intelligence and consulting firm that runs a comprehensive quarterly market update on the India Consumer Storage market. CMR’s India Quarterly Consumer Storage Flash Memory Market Review covers Micro SD cards, SD cards and Flash drives sold via distributors and retail outlets. The report accounts for ‘legal’ shipments, but does not include bundled or ‘grey’ market shipments or units brought from abroad by individuals as a part of personal baggage.
- CMR uses the term “shipments” to describe the number of consumer storage flash memory devices leaving the factory premises for OEM sales or stocking by distributors and retailers. For the convenience of media, the term ‘shipment’ is sometimes replaced by “sales” in the press release, but this reflects the market size in terms of units of consumer storage flash memory devices and not their absolute value. In the case of flash memory devices imported into the country, it represents the number leaving the first warehouse to OEMs, distributors and retailers.
About CyberMedia Research and Services Ltd
A part of CyberMedia (www.cybermedia.co.in), South Asia’s largest specialty media and media services group, CyberMedia Research (CMR) has been a front runner in market research, consulting and advisory services since 1986.
CMR offers research-based insights and marketing consultancy services – market intelligence, market sizing, stakeholder satisfaction, growth opportunity identification, incubation advisory, and go-to-market services – covering the Information Technology, Telecommunications, Semiconductors, Electronics & Smart Infrastructure, Government, Energy & Utilities and Lifesciences sectors, as well as the large enterprise, SMB and consumer user segments.
CMR’s core value proposition encompasses a rich portfolio of syndicated reports and custom research capabilities across multiple industries, markets and geographies. CMR’s forthcoming studies include stakeholder satisfaction surveys, mega spender assessments and market mapping studies for these domains.
CyberMedia Research, a division of Cyber Media Research and Services Ltd., is a member of the Market Research Society of India (www.mrsi.in).