- The overall market added 924 PB(Petabytes) in CY2020.
- Flash Drive was the highest contributor with 58% share in CY2020.
- 32GB capacity was most favored with 34% market share in CY2020.
Gurugram/New Delhi, Feb 25, 2021: According to CMR’s India Consumer Storage Flash Devices Market Review Report for Q4 CY2020 released today, the India Consumer Storage market (Micro SD, Pen Drive and SD card) shipments grew 59% in H2 2020 when compared to H1 2020. However, the overall market shipments dropped down by 12% YoY during the same period.
“H1 2020 faced the major burnt of the pandemic. The significant decline in H1 encouraged brands to bounce back strongly and fulfill the pent-up demand in the second half of the year. By offering jaw dropping deals and discounts during the festive sale along with the aggressive marketing, brands turned the table around in H2. Furthermore, increasing OTG pen drive popularity also aided the flash drive market growth in H2,” Shipra Sinha, Lead Analyst, CyberMedia Research.
Overall Market Highlights H2 2020
SanDisk remained the market leader with 75% market share. However, SanDisk shipments declined 7% YoY. HP stood at the second spot with 3% market share followed by Samsung at third position.
32GB capacity segment was the top contributor with 33% market share.64GB capacity captured 16% market share and its shipments recorded 10% YoY increase.
CMR anticipates 10-12% YoY growth in the overall Micro SD, SD Cards and Pen Drives market by the end of CY2021.
According to Shipra, “With the significant rise in the Smartphone market, Flash cards market will be strained. However, more connected devices in the current housebound period due to Internet of Things (IoT) technology will require proper management of the data generated. All of this encourages the need for smooth, superfast, large capacity and secure storage devices. Brands focus on providing additional features such as memory expansion, waterproof, password protection, multi-language, and most importantly antivirus protection will gain consumer trust. Going forward, the Flash drive market will be the growth driver on back of the increased penetration of OTG pen drives.”
Notes for Editors
- CyberMedia Research (CMR) is a pioneering market intelligence and consulting firm that runs a comprehensive quarterly market update on the India Consumer Storage market. CMR’s India Quarterly Consumer Storage Flash Memory Market Review covers Micro SD cards, SD cards and Flash drives sold via distributors and retail outlets. The report accounts for ‘legal’ shipments, but does not include bundled or ‘grey’ market shipments or units brought from abroad by individuals as a part of personal baggage.
- CMR uses the term “shipments” to describe the number of consumer storage flash memory devices leaving the factory premises for OEM sales or stocking by distributors and retailers. For the convenience of media, the term ‘shipment’ is sometimes replaced by “sales” in the press release, but this reflects the market size in terms of units of consumer storage flash memory devices and not their absolute value. In the case of flash memory devices imported into the country, it represents the number leaving the first warehouse to OEMs, distributors and retailers.