- SanDisk was the top contributor followed by Sony on the second spot.
- 32GB capacity segment witnessed 30% growth in terms of unit shipments.
- Flash Drives recorded 24% growth as compared to the previous quarter.
- SanDisk’s Cruzer Blade was the most popular pen drive model.
Gurugram/New Delhi, November 21, 2018: The India Consumer Storage Flash Memory Market witnessed 12% growth in 3Q CY2018 when compared to 2Q CY2018, according to CMR’s India Consumer Storage Flash Memory Market Review for November 2018.
“As expected, the festive season played a major role in the overall market growth. Flash Drive category was the key contributor to the same. Price variation also proved to be one of the growth drivers. Sales were enhanced as prices of almost all the products were slashed from mid till the end of the quarter” observed Shipra Sinha, Lead Analyst, CyberMedia Research.
In the overall India Consumer Storage Flash Memory market, SanDisk continued its dominance and contributed 58% of the market share in terms of units shipped. Sony replaced Strontium to be at the second spot. Sony has evolved as one of the major vendors in the India consumer storage market due to its strategy involving India manufacturing, and a strong product pipeline especially in the flash drive category.
The overall market saw a significant movement towards higher capacities like 32 GB and 64 GB. 32 GB witnessed 30% growth as compared to 2Q CY2018. However, the 16 GB segment maintained its number one position in the overall consumer storage market in terms of unit shipments.
According to Shipra, “Consumers’ inclination towards huge storage capacity, low priced smartphones has affected Micro SD growth for quite some time now. However, with the exponential growth in the digital world, social networking, entertainment and gaming apps etc., MicroSD cards will play a major role in supporting with that extra storage. Also, the forthcoming marriage season in 4Q CY2018 will help in uplifting the SD cards and Pen drive sales,”
“The overall market will continue to shift towards higher capacities due to marginal price difference among different capacity drives” added Shipra.
Notes for Editors
- CyberMedia Research (CMR) is a pioneering market intelligence and consulting firm that runs a comprehensive quarterly market update on the India Consumer Storage market. CMR’s India Quarterly Consumer Storage Flash Memory Market Review covers Micro SD cards, SD cards and Flash drives sold via distributors and retail outlets. The report accounts for ‘legal’ shipments, but does not include bundled or ‘grey’ market shipments or units brought from abroad by individuals as a part of personal baggage.
- CMR uses the term “shipments” to describe the number of consumer storage flash memory devices leaving the factory premises for OEM sales or stocking by distributors and retailers. For the convenience of media, the term ‘shipment’ is sometimes replaced by “sales” in the press release, but this reflects the market size in terms of units of consumer storage flash memory devices and not their absolute value. In the case of flash memory devices imported into the country, it represents the number leaving the first warehouse to OEMs, distributors and retailers.
– ENDS –
About CyberMedia Research and Services Ltd
A part of CyberMedia (www.cybermedia.co.in), South Asia’s largest specialty media and media services group, CyberMedia Research (CMR) has been a front runner in market research, consulting and advisory services since 1986.
CMR offers research-based insights and marketing consultancy services – market intelligence, market sizing, stakeholder satisfaction, growth opportunity identification, incubation advisory, and go-to-market services – covering the Information Technology, Telecommunications, Semiconductors, Electronics & Smart Infrastructure, Government, Energy & Utilities and Lifesciences sectors, as well as the large enterprise, SMB and consumer user segments.
CMR’s core value proposition encompasses a rich portfolio of syndicated reports and custom research capabilities across multiple industries, markets and geographies. CMR’s forthcoming studies include stakeholder satisfaction surveys, mega spender assessments and market mapping studies for these domains.
CyberMedia Research, a division of Cyber Media Research and Services Ltd., is a member of the Market Research Society of India (www.mrsi.in).