- Q1 CY2021 records highest shipments in last three years.
- PCIe/NVMe SSD shipments registered 433% YoY growth on a small base.
- Portable SSD market shipments up 64% YoY.
Gurugram/New Delhi, May 18, 2021: According to CMR’s India Hard Drive Market Review for Q1 CY2021, the India Consumer Internal SSD market (SATA & PCIe/NVMe) shipments recorded 34% growth when compared to Q4 CY2020. On a YoY basis, the overall market registered remarkable 172% growth.
“The internal SSD market growth is largely attributed to the increased relevance of PCs due to the Extended Work from Home (WFH) and remote learning. Growing awareness about the supreme features of SSDs over traditional HDDs gave an additional boost. Consumers inclination towards SSDs was clearly visible giving ample growth opportunity. A significant contribution was observed by the lesser-known brands thus increasing the overall internal SSD base,” observed Shipra Sinha, Analyst – Industry Intelligence Group (IIG), CMR.
Q1 CY2021 Highlights
In the overall India Consumer Internal SSD market, WD captured 14% market share followed by Adata capturing 13% and Crucial at third position with 12% share. Adata and Crucial shipments recorded remarkable YoY growth of 763% and 106% respectively. Others Branded category contribution was 32%.
In the External SSD market, Samsung stood at the top spot with 51% market share followed by WD at 41%. WD shipments increased by 32% YoY, while Samsung shipments went up by 109% YoY. Seagate captured the third position with 6% market share.
CMR anticipates the Internal SSD market to grow 25-30% YoY by the end of CY2021 on back of increased SSD adoption and penetration making it a mainstream product. Portable SSDs are also expected to grow ~50% YoY on a small base.
According to Shipra “With the current COVID-19 second wave, regional lockdowns and supply disruptions, Q2 is expected to drop down. However, continued remote work and e-learning with massive uptake in the gaming segment indicates an optimistic future growth for internal SSDs. With a surge in demand, internal SSD prices are likely to come down increasing its affordability. NVMe SSDs contribution will be significant with strong demand for SATA SSDs. Unabated growth in data and increasing complexity in data management will drive portable SSDs future growth,”
Notes for Editors
- CyberMedia Research (CMR) is a pioneering market intelligence and consulting firm that runs a comprehensive quarterly market update on the India Consumer Storage market. CMR’s India Quarterly Consumer SSD Market Review covers Internal SSD and External SSD sold via distributors and retail outlets. The report accounts for ‘legal’ shipments but does not include bundled or ‘grey’ market shipments or units brought from abroad by individuals as a part of personal baggage.
- CMR uses the term “shipments” to describe the number of Internal SSD devices leaving the factory premises for OEM sales or stocking by distributors and retailers. For the convenience of media, the term ‘shipment’ is sometimes replaced by “sales” in the press release, but this reflects the market size in terms of units of hard drive devices and not their absolute value.
– ENDS –
About CyberMedia Research and Services Ltd
A part of CyberMedia (www.cybermedia.co.in), South Asia’s largest specialty media and media services group, CyberMedia Research (CMR) has been a front runner in market research, consulting and advisory services since 1986.
CMR offers research-based insights and marketing consultancy services – market intelligence, market sizing, stakeholder satisfaction, growth opportunity identification, incubation advisory, and go-to-market services – covering the Information Technology, Telecommunications, Semiconductors, Electronics & Smart Infrastructure, Government, Energy & Utilities and Lifesciences sectors, as well as the large enterprise, SMB and consumer user segments.