- Flash drive remained the top contributor with 66% share
- Flash cards (Micro SD and SD) shipments up 109% QoQ
- 32GB capacity was most popular with 39% market share
- Type C flash drive shipments up >250% QoQ on a small base
Gurugram/New Delhi, November 29, 2021: According to CMR’s India Consumer Storage Flash Devices Market Review Report for Q3CY2021 released today, the India Consumer Storage market (Micro SD, Pen Drive and SD card) shipments grew91% QoQ in Q3CY2021. However, on a YoY basis, the market declined marginally by 2%.
“Opening up of the market post second COVID-19 wave and festive season arrival aided this QoQ growth. Demand for additional storage in mobile handsets continued owing to huge content creation and data generation. In midst of the major supply constraints, brands succeeded in maintaining the supply and fulfilling the demand. However, reduced contribution by the other well-known brands except SanDisk in both Flash cards and Flash drives category led to the YoY decline in the overall market,” Shipra Sinha, Lead Analyst, CyberMedia Research.
Market Highlights: Q3 CY2021
SanDisk continued its leadership with 74% market share. HP stood at the second spot with5% market share. Others branded category also captured ~5% market share.
32GB capacity segment was the top contributor with 39% market share and 88% QoQ increase in its shipments.64GB was the next preferred capacity capturing 26% market share with its shipments growing by >150% QoQ.
CMR anticipates the flash cards market to remain flat by the end of CY2021largely due to decline in Micro SD cards contribution. On the other hand, flash drive market is anticipated to grow >10% YoY by the end of CY2021 on back of rising popularity of OTG drives.
According to Shipra, “Q4 2021 shipments are expected to drop down due to the ongoing supply side challenges. Flash cards market will remain strained as Micro SD card market once the major contributor has been inflicted due to steady rise in smartphones with huge internal memory. Alternatively, OTG pen drives will be an important growth driver for the flash drive market. Market transition towards higher capacities will be notable due to rise in need for better, cost effective and compact storage devices for the feature rich phones.”
Notes for Editors
- CyberMedia Research (CMR) is pioneering market intelligence and consulting firm that runs a comprehensive quarterly market update on the India Consumer Storage market. CMR’s India Quarterly Consumer Storage Flash Memory Market Review covers Micro SD cards, SD cards and Flash drives sold via distributors and retail outlets. The report accounts for ‘legal’ shipments, but does not include bundled or ‘grey’ market shipments or units brought from abroad by individuals as a part of personal baggage.
- CMR uses the term “shipments” to describe the number of consumer storage flash memory devices leaving the factory premises for OEM sales or stocking by distributors and retailers. For the convenience of media, the term ‘shipment’ is sometimes replaced by “sales” in the press release, but this reflects the market size in terms of units of consumer storage flash memory devices and not their absolute value. In the case of flash memory devices imported into the country, it represents the number leaving the first warehouse to OEMs, distributors and retailers.
– ENDS –
About CyberMedia Research and Services Ltd
A part of CyberMedia (www.cybermedia.co.in), South Asia’s largest specialty media and media services group, CyberMedia Research (CMR) has been a front runner in market research, consulting and advisory services since 1986.
CMR offers research-based insights and marketing consultancy services – market intelligence, market sizing, stakeholder satisfaction, growth opportunity identification, incubation advisory, and go-to-market services – covering the Information Technology, Telecommunications, Semiconductors, Electronics & Smart Infrastructure, Government, Energy & Utilities and Life sciences sectors, as well as the large enterprise, SMB and consumer user segments.
CMR’s core value proposition encompasses a rich portfolio of syndicated reports and custom research capabilities across multiple industries, markets and geographies. CMR’s forthcoming studies include stakeholder satisfaction surveys, mega spender assessments and market mapping studies for these domains.
CyberMedia Research, a division of Cyber Media Research and Services Ltd., is a member of the Market Research Society of India (www.mrsi.in).