- Market share of Reliance Retail shipments dropped down to 57% while Huawei increased to 18% in the overall data cards market in 3Q CY2017.
- LTE/4G data cards continued its dominance with 99% market share in terms of units shipped.
- 3G data cards shipments witnessed 36% decline when compared to 2Q CY2017.
- Market share of LTE/4G based MiFi devices was 82%.
- When compared to 3Q CY2016 the overall data cards market witnessed 9% decline in 3Q CY2017.
Gurugram/New Delhi, 24 November: The Indian Data cards market witnessed a 72% decline in 3QCY2017, shrinking to 1.1 Million in units/shipments, according to CMR’s India Data Cards Monthly Market Review 3Q CY2017 release.
“July 2017 witnessed comparatively lesser shipments of data cards due to GST impact along with clearing the stocks from previous quarters. August and September 2017 saw an upward trend in the sales because of the offers floated during the festive season,”stated Shipra Sinha Lead Analyst, Industry Intelligence and Channels Research Practices, CyberMedia Research.
LTE/4G based Mi-Fi devices contributed 82% market share. However, it declined by 77% when compared to 2Q CY2017. Its counterpart USB modem devices contributed 19% to the market share in overall data cards market in terms of units shipped.
Market share of Reliance Retail dropped down to 57% in 3Q CY2017 as against 91% in 2Q CY2017 in terms of units shipped because of the accumulation of higher stocks by the end of 2Q CY2017. Despite this fall, Reliance Retail maintained its number one position in the overall data cards market. Huawei shipments recorded 63% sequential growth in 3Q CY2017 in terms of units shipped.The vendor’s market share increased to 18% in 3Q CY2017 as against 3% in previous Quarter in terms of units shipped.
Reliance Retail’s model JMR 1140 was the fastest moving model followed by its JDR 740 on second position and Huawei’s E5573CS-609 on third spot.
Data card with data rate of 150 Mbps contributed around 88% of overall shipments in 3Q CY2017. Around 64% of Data Cards were found to operate on Qualcomm Chipset in 3Q CY2017 and 92% of data cards were found to sold through operator bundling in 3Q CY 2017.
“LTE/4G based MiFi devices capability to provide superfast and uninterrupted internet, its cost effectiveness, in-built battery, and multiple user support will contribute to its leadership position. The rising acceptance of Mi-Fi’s, primarily driven by Reliance Retail in Tier II and Tier III cities will make way for this device to expand to major parts of India. Fourth quarter is expected to be slow mainly because of the end of all the major festivals and their offers. However, if Reliance Retail continues to push its MiFi models at attractive discounted rates, we will see an upstick in the sales,” Shipra concluded.
Notes for Editors
- CyberMedia Research (CMR) is pioneering market intelligence and consulting firm that runs a comprehensive monthly market update on the India Data Cards market. The report accounts for ‘legal’ shipments, but does not include bundled or ‘grey’ market shipments or units brought from abroad by individuals as part of personal baggage.
- CMR uses the term ‘shipments’ to describe the number of data cards leaving the factory premises for OEM sales or stocking by distributors and retailers. For the convenience of media, the term ‘shipment’ is sometimes replaced by ‘sales’ in press releases, but this reflects the market size in terms of units of data cardsand not their absolute value.
– ENDS –
About CMR Data Card Market Review Report
The CMR Data Card Market Review Report is based on CMR’s research methodology and proprietary tools, and delivered to CMR clientele. For more information on CMR’s Data Card Market Review Report, please contact Amit Sharma at +91 9650453646 or email@example.com
CMR offers industry intelligence, consulting and marketing services, including but not limited to market tracking, market sizing, stakeholder satisfaction, analytics and opportunity assessment studies.
Its bouquet of consulting services includes incubation advisory, go-to-market services, market mapping and scenario assessment services. CMR is servicing domestic as well as international clientele in India and few global destinations. The clientele serviced represents SMBs, Large Enterprises, Associations and Government. CMR’s core value proposition encompasses a rich portfolio of syndicated reports and custom research capabilities across multiple industries, markets and geographies.
A part of CyberMedia, South Asia’s largest specialty media and media services group, CyberMedia Research (CMR) has been a front-runner in market research, consulting and advisory services since 1986. CMR is an institutional member of Market Research Society of India (MRSI). For more information, please visit CMR’s website, Twitter and LinkedIn pages. For queries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org