New Delhi/Gurugram, 13 Dec 2021: The Tablet market in India witnessed an outstanding 116% quarter-on-quarter (QoQ) growth in Q3 2021 mostly driven by continued consumer demand in the run-up to the festive season. Alongside, commercial demand picked-up during the quarter, especially in healthcare and education sector. According to CMR’s Tablet PC Market Report Review for Q3 2021, Lenovo led the tablet market with 47% market share.
According to Menka Kumari, Analyst-Industry Intelligence Group (IIG), CMR, “The earlier-than-usual online festive sales helped tablet makers to cater to the continued consumer demand arising from learn-from-home and unwind-at-home routines. The quarter also saw the debut of new market entrants, such as realme, entering the fray with their tablet offering, the realme Pad. This debut augurs well for the overall tablet industry. For current market incumbents, especially in the affordable tablet segment, the enhanced competition will be something to watch for.”
Tablet Market Highlights
- Lenovo continued to lead the tablet market, mainly driven by festive season and robust commercial demand. Lenovo shipments recorded a remarkable 50% YoY growth in Q3 2021. Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus and Lenovo Yoga Tab got favorable consumer response during the quarter. Overall sales for Lenovo tablets grew in the quarter, driven by early festive sales.
- Apple was at the second position with 23% market share. Apple iPad Air 2020 garnered 10% market share. Apple shipments recorded a remarkable 47% YoY growth in Q3 2021. Apple’s newly launched Apple iPad (9th Gen) and iPad mini 6 will help Apple further build on its recent market gains.
- Samsung was placed third in the market leaderboard with 19% market share. Samsung grew 47% QoQ. Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 (2019) series captured 10 % market share.
- With its debut in the tablet market, realme secured a 6% market share.
Chipset Market Dynamics
- In terms of chipsets, MediaTek led the tablet market with 38% market share, followed by Qualcomm with 33% market share. Apple was placed third with 23% market share.
CMR anticipates the tablet market to grow around 4% in Q4 2021, with the festive sales.
“The current supply side dynamics, including chip shortage, will potentially pose challenges for Tablet OEMs. However, we believe Tablet brands will be able to navigate these challenges, and the overall Tablet market will continue to maintain its growth curve in Q4 2021,” added Menka.
Notes for Editors
- This release is based on the CyberMedia Research (CMR) India Quarterly Tablet PC Market Review published at the conclusion of every calendar quarter.
- The figures captured are of both enterprise and consumer shipments.
- CyberMedia Research (CMR) uses the term ‘shipments’ to describe the number of Tablets leaving the factory premises for OEM sales or stocking by distributors and retailers. For the convenience of media, the term ‘shipments’ is sometimes replaced or used interchangeably with “sales” in the press release, but this reflects the market size in terms of units of Tablets and not their absolute value. In the case of Tablets imported into the country it represents the number leaving the first warehouse to OEMs, distributors and retailers. CyberMedia Research does not track the number of Tablets brought on their person by individual passengers landing on Indian soil from overseas destinations or ‘grey’ market Tablets (if any).