- Flash drive was the top contributor with 68% share
- Flash cards (MicroSD and SD) shipments up 65% YoY
- 32GB capacity was most favored with 40% market share
- Type C flash drives captured 4% of the market
Gurugram/New Delhi, Aug 26, 2021: According to CMR’s India Consumer Storage Flash Devices Market Review Report for Q2 CY2021 released today, the India Consumer Storage market (Micro SD, Pen Drive and SD card) shipments grew 173% YoY in Q2 CY2021. On a QoQ basis, the market dropped down by 52%.
“Regional lockdowns in the first half of the quarter due to second COVID-19 wave led to this QoQ decline. Though the market revived back in June, the overall shipments dropped down by >50%. Moreover, no substantial contribution by other well-known brands except SanDisk in both Flash cards and Flash drives category was another factor. Notable decline in the Micro SD base has also been the cause of concern for the overall market of late,” Shipra Sinha, Lead Analyst, CyberMedia Research.
Market Highlights Q2 CY2021
SanDisk remained the market leader with 72% market share. HP stood at the second spot with 4% market share. Others Unbranded category captured 11% market share.
32GB capacity segment was the top contributor with 40% market share and 419% YoY growth in its shipments.64GB capacity captured 20% market share and its shipments recorded 165% YoY increase.
CMR anticipates the flash drives market to grow >10% by the end of CY2021 on back of rising popularity of dual drives.
According to Shipra, “Q3 2021 shipments are expected to surge on arrival of festive season, and attractive deals for consumers. MicroSD market will be strained due to the mounting base of affordable smartphones with large internal memory. However, growing popularity of OTG pen drives will be an important growth factor. Significant shift towards higher capacities will be observed. With the accelerated digital transformation and increased connectivity in the homebound period, need for improved, cost effective and compact storage devices indicates an optimistic future for the overall market.”
Notes for Editors
- CyberMedia Research (CMR) is a pioneering market intelligence and consulting firm that runs a comprehensive quarterly market update on the India Consumer Storage market. CMR’s India Quarterly Consumer Storage Flash Memory Market Review covers Micro SD cards, SD cards and Flash drives sold via distributors and retail outlets. The report accounts for ‘legal’ shipments, but does not include bundled or ‘grey’ market shipments or units brought from abroad by individuals as a part of personal baggage.
- CMR uses the term “shipments” to describe the number of consumer storage flash memory devices leaving the factory premises for OEM sales or stocking by distributors and retailers. For the convenience of media, the term ‘shipment’ is sometimes replaced by “sales” in the press release, but this reflects the market size in terms of units of consumer storage flash memory devices and not their absolute value. In the case of flash memory devices imported into the country, it represents the number leaving the first warehouse to OEMs, distributors and retailers.
– ENDS –
About CyberMedia Research and Services Ltd
A part of CyberMedia (www.cybermedia.co.in), South Asia’s largest specialty media and media services group, CyberMedia Research (CMR) has been a front runner in market research, consulting and advisory services since 1986.
CMR offers research-based insights and marketing consultancy services – market intelligence, market sizing, stakeholder satisfaction, growth opportunity identification, incubation advisory, and go-to-market services – covering the Information Technology, Telecommunications, Semiconductors, Electronics & Smart Infrastructure, Government, Energy & Utilities and Lifesciences sectors, as well as the large enterprise, SMB and consumer user segments.
CMR’s core value proposition encompasses a rich portfolio of syndicated reports and custom research capabilities across multiple industries, markets and geographies. CMR’s forthcoming studies include stakeholder satisfaction surveys, mega spender assessments and market mapping studies for these domains.
CyberMedia Research, a division of Cyber Media Research and Services Ltd., is a member of the Market Research Society of India (www.mrsi.in).