- 2.5” external HDD captured 94% market share,>150% YoY growth
- 1TB and 2TB capacities collectively contributed 77% share.
- 4 BAY NAS external HDD were most popular.
Gurugram/New Delhi, August 30, 2021: According to CMR’s India External Hard Drive Market Review for Q2 CY2021, the India External HDD (2.5” & 3.5”) market shipments dropped down by 33% QoQ. However, on a YoY basis, the market shipments increased significantly by 162%.
“The second COVID-19 wave, and the consequent regional lockdowns contributed to a decline in the overall shipments. Also, external HDD market has been affected for quite some time owing to the rapid transition towards SSDs. External SSD market, although small, is gaining traction posing threat for the external HDDs. The highest contributor 2.5” HDD shipments went down by 32% QoQ while 3.5” HDD shipments went down by 48% QoQ,” observed Shipra Sinha, Lead Analyst, CyberMedia Research.
Q2 CY2021 Highlights
Seagate stood at the top of the leaderboard with 61% market share followed by WDC at 32% in the overall external HDD category.
1TB captured 42% market share followed by 2TB at 35%.2TB capacity shipments increased by 174% YoY.4TB was the next preferred capacity with 9% market share and its shipments growing 184% YoY.
4 Bay NAS was the top contributor with 47% market share. Dual Bay NAS captured 37% market share with its shipments up by 39% YoY. QNAP (40%) was the leader followed by Netgear (32%).
CMR anticipates external HDD (2.5” and 3.5”) shipments to grow marginally by 3-5% YoY by the end of CY2021 owing to increased adoption and awareness about SSDs.
According to Shipra, “We anticipate overall shipments to get a fillip in Q3 2021, driven by the festive season sales, and attractive promotions. Driven by remote work, data generation has amped up significantly. As such, external HDDs will be the preferred go-to option. The introduction of lightweight, compact with security encryption external HDDs by the brands will also attract consumers. We anticipate NAS devices to gain momentum on the back of robust data security and enhanced accessibility. All said, external HDD market will be afflicted due to increasing base and affordability of external SSDs.”
Notes for Editors
- CyberMedia Research (CMR) is a pioneering market intelligence and consulting firm that runs a comprehensive quarterly market update on the India Consumer Storage market. CMR’s India Quarterly Hard Drives Market Review covers External HDD, NAS, Surveillance HDD sold via distributors and retail outlets. The report accounts for ‘legal’ shipments, but does not include bundled or ‘grey’ market shipments or units brought from abroad by individuals as a part of personal baggage.
- CMR uses the term “shipments” to describe the number of hard drive devices leaving the factory premises for OEM sales or stocking by distributors and retailers. For the convenience of media, the term ‘shipment’ is sometimes replaced by “sales” in the press release, but this reflects the market size in terms of units of hard drive devices and not their absolute value.
– ENDS –
About CyberMedia Research and Services Ltd
A part of CyberMedia (www.cybermedia.co.in), South Asia’s largest specialty media and media services group, CyberMedia Research (CMR) has been a front runner in market research, consulting and advisory services since 1986.
CMR offers research-based insights and marketing consultancy services – market intelligence, market sizing, stakeholder satisfaction, growth opportunity identification, incubation advisory, and go-to-market services – covering the Information Technology, Telecommunications, Semiconductors, Electronics & Smart Infrastructure, Government, Energy & Utilities and Lifesciences sectors, as well as the large enterprise, SMB and consumer user segments.
CMR’s core value proposition encompasses a rich portfolio of syndicated reports and custom research capabilities across multiple industries, markets and geographies. CMR’s forthcoming studies include stakeholder satisfaction surveys, mega spender assessments and market mapping studies for these domains.
CyberMedia Research, a division of Cyber Media Research and Services Ltd., is a member of the Market Research Society of India (www.mrsi.in).