- 5” external HDD captured 95% market share with 23% YoY growth
- 5” external HDD shipments increased 85% YoY
- 1TB capacity was most popular with 42% market share.
Gurugram/New Delhi, November 29, 2021: According to CMR’s India External Hard Drive Market Review for Q3 CY2021, the India External HDD (2.5”& 3.5”) market shipments went up by 104% QoQ, on a YoY basis also, the market shipments increased by 25%.
“External HDD are the optimum solution when it comes to large storage at a reasonable cost. Hence, with market transition towards SSDs, external HDDs continue to maintain their consumer base. End of the deadly second COVID-19 wave, arrival of the festive season with attractive promotions and offers in Q3 boosted the sales. Brands well prepared themselves keeping in mind the ongoing supply crunch and succeeded in fulfilling the consumer demand. External SSD market shipments although increasing fast, will take time to reach the affordability offered by an external HDD,” observed Shipra Sinha, Lead Analyst, CyberMedia Research.
WDC replaced Seagate to be at the top of the leaderboard with 47% market share and Seagate dropped down to second position with 41% share in the overall external HDD category. Toshiba stood at the third position with 10% market share with its shipments growing 131% YoY.
1TB captured 42% market share followed by 2TB at28%.2TB capacity shipments increased by 11% YoY.4TB was the next preferred capacity with 8% market share and its shipments growing 18% YoY.
Dual Bay NAS was the top contributor with 50% market share, with its shipments up by 100% YoY.4 Bay NAS captured 37% market share. QNAP (33%) was the leader followed by Netgear (25%).
CMR anticipates external HDD (2.5” and 3.5”) shipments to record single digit YoY growth by the end of CY2021on back of increased adoption and notable market movement towards SSDs.
According to Shipra, “Q4 2021 shipments are expected to decline owing to persistent supply side challenges. However, the demand for cost effective, huge storage capacity drives will be constant due to rapid digital transformation. Brands focus on introduction of sleek, attractive and secure external hard drives will be an added attraction for the consumers. Storage of precious data on the network at the comfort of home will drive the NAS devices market growth. Despite all, external HDD market will be affected due to growing preference towards SSDs.”
Notes for Editors
- CyberMedia Research (CMR) is a pioneering market intelligence and consulting firm that runs a comprehensive quarterly market update on the India Consumer Storage market. CMR’s India Quarterly Hard Drives Market Review covers External HDD,NAS, Surveillance HDD sold via distributors and retail outlets. The report accounts for ‘legal’ shipments, but does not include bundled or ‘grey’ market shipments or units brought from abroad by individuals as a part of personal baggage.
- CMR uses the term “shipments” to describe the number of hard drive devices leaving the factory premises for OEM sales or stocking by distributors and retailers. For the convenience of media, the term ‘shipment’ is sometimes replaced by “sales” in the press release, but this reflects the market size in terms of units of hard drive devices and not their absolute value.
– ENDS –
About CyberMedia Research and Services Ltd
A part of CyberMedia (www.cybermedia.co.in), South Asia’s largest specialty media and media services group, CyberMedia Research (CMR) has been a front runner in market research, consulting and advisory services since 1986.
CMR offers research-based insights and marketing consultancy services – market intelligence, market sizing, stakeholder satisfaction, growth opportunity identification, incubation advisory, and go-to-market services – covers the Information Technology,
Telecommunications, Semiconductors, Electronics & Smart Infrastructure, Government, Energy & Utilities and Lifesciences sectors, as well as the large enterprise, SMB and consumer user segments.
CMR’s core value proposition encompasses a rich portfolio of syndicated reports and custom research capabilities across multiple industries, markets and geographies. CMR’s forthcoming studies include stakeholder satisfaction surveys, mega spender assessments and market mapping studies for these domains.
CyberMedia Research, a division of Cyber Media Research and Services Ltd., is a member of the Market Research Society of India (www.mrsi.in).