- Tablet Market grows on back of consumer and enterprise demand
- Lenovo led the tablet market with a 45% market share.
- Apple iPad shipments recorded a remarkable 65% YoY growth.
- New market entrants, and new form factors will shape the future of tablets
New Delhi/Gurugram, 23 August 2021: According to CMR’s India Tablet PC Market Review Report for Q2 2021 released today, Lenovo maintained the top position. Overall tablet market grew by 13% quarter-on-quarter, driven by back-to-school offers, and continuous need for new companion devices in the ongoing work-learn-unwind at home environment.
That said, supply chain challenges continue to impact the tablet market. In Q2 2021, Lenovo led the tablet market with a 45% market share. Apple iPad shipments recorded a remarkable 65% YoY growth.
According to Menka Kumari, Analyst-Industry Intelligence Group (IIG), CMR, “The COVID-19 pandemic impacted the Tablet market in India. Driven by regional lockdowns in the wake of the second pandemic wave, the tablet market declined in Q2 2021. However, tablet shipments revived in June.”
4G Tablets accounted for 63% market share.
Lenovo grew in the region and maintained the first place, mainly driven by Work from home (WFH)and learning from home (LFH). The top models sold in Lenovo were M8 and M10 FHD Plus, primarily in the Value for Money (INR 7,000-INR 25,000) segment.
Samsung replaced Apple at the second position for Q2 2021 with 28% market share. Samsung saw tremendous growth in its market share by 55% QoQ. It also launched a new model, Galaxy Tab S7 FE lite for growing its overall tablet market. Galaxy Tab A 8.0 LTE (2019) series captured 11 % market share.
Apple slipped down to third place in the market leaderboard with 23% market share. Despite the volatile market dynamics, Apple iPad 8 garnered 10% market share. Newly launched Apple iPad Pro 2021 series with new features will further strengthen Apple’s growth in India tablet market.
When it comes to chipsets, Qualcomm had a 38% market share in the tablet market. MediaTek was placed second with 31% market share, while Apple accounted for 23% share.
Menka further stated, “The Tablet market will see the potential entry of new market players, mainly Chinese smartphone brands, including the likes of Xiaomi and realme, with their aggressive spec-and-value marketing play. They could disrupt the market dynamics of the Tablet industry.”
CMR estimates point to an overall growth of Tablet shipments by 5-10% in Q3 2021.
“We remain cautiously optimistic for the Tablet Market to grow in Q3 2021. The Tablet Market will be driven by both consumer and enterprise segment. On the back of attractive offers during the upcoming festive season, we anticipate consumer demand to remains stable. However, a potential third COVID wave may dent the market. Over the long-term, the progressive evolution of the foldable form factor, such as those championed by Samsung, could also impact the tablet market,” added Menka.
Notes for Editors
- This release is based on the CyberMedia Research (CMR) India Quarterly Tablet PC Market Review published at the conclusion of every calendar quarter.
- The figures captured are of both enterprise and consumer shipments.
- CyberMedia Research (CMR) uses the term ‘shipments’ to describe the number of Tablets leaving the factory premises for OEM sales or stocking by distributors and retailers. For the convenience of media, the term ‘shipments’ is sometimes replaced or used interchangeably with “sales” in the press release, but this reflects the market size in terms of units of Tablets and not their absolute value. In the case of Tablets imported into the country it represents the number leaving the first warehouse to OEMs, distributors and retailers. CyberMedia Research does not track the number of Tablets brought on their person by individual passengers landing on Indian soil from overseas destinations or ‘grey’ market Tablets (if any).
– ENDS –
About CyberMedia Research and Services Ltd
A part of CyberMedia (www.cybermedia.co.in), South Asia’s largest specialty media and media services group, CyberMedia Research (CMR) has been a front runner in market research, consulting and advisory services since 1986.
CMR’s core value proposition encompasses a rich portfolio of syndicated reports and custom research capabilities across multiple industries, markets and geographies. CMR’s forthcoming studies include stakeholder satisfaction surveys, mega spender assessments and market mapping studies for these domains.
CyberMedia Research, a division of Cyber Media Research and Services Ltd., is a member of the Market Research Society of India (www.mrsi.in).
Contact: Menka Kumari, firstname.lastname@example.org