- SanDisk continued to dominate all the three categories.
- Flash Drive was the top contributor with 64% share
- 32GB capacity was most favored with 45% market share
Gurugram/New Delhi, May 25, 2021: According to CMR’s India Consumer Storage Flash Devices Market Review Report for Q1 CY2021 released today, the India Consumer Storage market (Micro SD, Pen Drive and SD card) shipments grew 4% YoY in Q1 CY2021. On a QoQ basis, the market registered 15% growth.
“Flash drive shipments were the key contributor in the overall market growth. Rising popularity of dual drives has been an important growth factor for flash drive market. Moreover, preparatory stocking owing to Chinese New Year was done by the brands to maintain smooth supply and address the demand. Overall market increased marginally due to lack of significant contribution by other well-known brands except SanDisk in Micro SD and SD cards category,” Shipra Sinha, Analyst – Industry Intelligence Group (IIG), CyberMedia Research.
Market Highlights Q1 CY2021
SanDisk remained the market leader with 73% market share. HP stood at the second spot with 3% market share. Others Unbranded category captured 17% market share.
32GB capacity segment was the top contributor with 45% market share and 25% YoY growth in its shipments.64GB capacity captured 16% market share and its shipments recorded 27% YoY increase.
CMR anticipates the overall flash cards market to remain flat by the end of CY2021 owing to slow down of Micro SD segment. On the other hand, flash drives market is anticipated to grow >10% by the end of CY2021 on back of good demand for dual drives.
According to Shipra, “Q2 will face the brunt due to the current second wave of COVID-19 and supply disruptions. Flash cards market will continue to struggle largely due to rise in smartphones with huge internal memory. OTG drives instant data transfer feature between devices will be the key growth factor for flash drives. All said, with rise in home entertainment, videos and gaming due to remote working, increased requirement of enhanced, affordable and compact storage devices will drive the overall market’s future growth,”
Notes for Editors
- CyberMedia Research (CMR) is a pioneering market intelligence and consulting firm that runs a comprehensive quarterly market update on the India Consumer Storage market. CMR’s India Quarterly Consumer Storage Flash Memory Market Review covers Micro SD cards, SD cards and Flash drives sold via distributors and retail outlets. The report accounts for ‘legal’ shipments, but does not include bundled or ‘grey’ market shipments or units brought from abroad by individuals as a part of personal baggage.
- CMR uses the term “shipments” to describe the number of consumer storage flash memory devices leaving the factory premises for OEM sales or stocking by distributors and retailers. For the convenience of media, the term ‘shipment’ is sometimes replaced by “sales” in the press release, but this reflects the market size in terms of units of consumer storage flash memory devices and not their absolute value. In the case of flash memory devices imported into the country, it represents the number leaving the first warehouse to OEMs, distributors and retailers.
– ENDS –
About CyberMedia Research and Services Ltd
A part of CyberMedia (www.cybermedia.co.in), South Asia’s largest specialty media and media services group, CyberMedia Research (CMR) has been a front runner in market research, consulting and advisory services since 1986.
CMR offers research-based insights and marketing consultancy services – market intelligence, market sizing, stakeholder satisfaction, growth opportunity identification, incubation advisory, and go-to-market services – covering the Information Technology, Telecommunications, Semiconductors, Electronics & Smart Infrastructure, Government, Energy & Utilities and Lifesciences sectors, as well as the large enterprise, SMB and consumer user segments.
CMR’s core value proposition encompasses a rich portfolio of syndicated reports and custom research capabilities across multiple industries, markets and geographies. CMR’s forthcoming studies include stakeholder satisfaction surveys, mega spender assessments and market mapping studies for these domains.
CyberMedia Research, a division of Cyber Media Research and Services Ltd., is a member of the Market Research Society of India (www.mrsi.in).