- WD led the overall Internal SSD market followed by Crucial in CY2021.
- NVMe SSD shipments touched 1Mn mark, registering >400% YoY growth.
- External SSD market shipments up 77% YoY in CY2021.
Gurugram/New Delhi, Feb 24, 2021: According to CMR’s India Hard Drive Market Review for CY2021, the India Consumer Internal SSD market (SATA & PCIe/NVMe) shipments recorded significant 213% growth YoY at the end of CY2021. On a QoQ basis, the overall market also recorded 18% growth in Q4 CY2021.
“Despite the supply constraints, the remarkable growth can be attributed to the growing awareness about SSDs. This has encouraged newer brands to enter this category, leading to a 3x increase in the overall market base compared to CY2020. Similarly, External SSDs superior features compared to External HDDs paired with affordability catalyzed its market growth,” observed Shipra Sinha, Lead Analyst, CyberMedia Research.
In the overall India Consumer Internal SSD market, WD captured 11% market share followed by Crucial capturing 9% and Kingston at third position with around 9% share. Others Branded category contribution was 23%.
In the External SSD market, Samsung and captured the top spot with 45% market share. WD was at the second position with 42% share. WD shipments increased by 77% YoY, while Samsung shipments went up by 64% YoY. Seagate stood at the third position with 8% market share, its shipments went up by 94% YoY. In Q4 CY2021, External SSD category saw significant contribution by Crucial, capturing the third position after Samsung and WD with 22% market share.
CMR anticipates the overall consumer SSD market to grow >30% YoY by the end of CY2022 on back of increased affordability, enhanced performance over traditional HDDs and ease of replacement.
According to Shipra “We anticipate market demand to remain robust. While SATA SSDs will lead the market owing to strong demand, NVMe SSDs capability to outperform SATA SSDs will further amp up its shipments. Additionally, Gaming SSDs will play a key role in the overall market growth.”
Notes for Editors
- CyberMedia Research (CMR) is a pioneering market intelligence and consulting firm that runs a comprehensive quarterly market update on the India Consumer Storage market. CMR’s India Quarterly Consumer SSD Market Review covers Internal SSD and External SSD sold via distributors and retail outlets. The report accounts for ‘legal’ shipments but does not include bundled or ‘grey’ market shipments or units brought from abroad by individuals as a part of personal baggage.
- CMR uses the term “shipments” to describe the number of Internal SSD devices leaving the factory premises for OEM sales or stocking by distributors and retailers. For the convenience of media, the term ‘shipment’ is sometimes replaced by “sales” in the press release, but this reflects the market size in terms of units of hard drive devices and not their absolute value.
– ENDS –
About CyberMedia Research and Services Ltd
A part of CyberMedia (www.cybermedia.co.in), South Asia’s largest specialty media and media services group, CyberMedia Research (CMR) has been a front runner in market research, consulting and advisory services since 1986.
CMR offers research-based insights and marketing consultancy services – market intelligence, market sizing, stakeholder satisfaction, growth opportunity identification, incubation advisory, and go-to-market services – covering the Information Technology, Telecommunications, Semiconductors, Electronics & Smart Infrastructure, Government, Energy & Utilities and Lifesciences sectors, as well as the large enterprise, SMB and consumer user segments.
CMR’s core value proposition encompasses a rich portfolio of syndicated reports and custom research capabilities across multiple industries, markets and geographies. CMR’s forthcoming studies include stakeholder satisfaction surveys, mega spender assessments and market mapping studies for these domains.
CyberMedia Research, a division of Cyber Media Research and Services Ltd., is a member of the Market Research Society of India (www.mrsi.in).