- WD leads the overall Internal SSD market in Q2 2021.
- NVMe SSD shipments registered 54% QoQ growth in Q2 2021.
- External SSD market shipments up 5% QoQ in Q2 2021.
Gurugram/New Delhi, August 19, 2021: According to CMR’s India Hard Drive Market Review for Q2 CY2021, the India Consumer Internal SSD market (SATA & PCIe/NVMe) shipments witnessed 15% decline when compared to Q1 CY2021. On an YoY basis, the overall market registered significant 317% growth.
“Regional lockdowns due to second COVID-19 wave led to this QoQ decline. However, the market recorded highest shipments in H1 2021 ever because of the significant contribution by the leading brands and notable rise in shipments of the lesser-known brands. Increased SSD popularity due to remote working and learning trends has encouraged new entrants in the segment trying to capitalize the opportunity. On the other hand, external SSD shipments were up due to their increased affordability,” observed Shipra Sinha, Lead Analyst, CyberMedia Research.
Q2 CY2021 Highlights
In the overall India Consumer Internal SSD market, WD captured 14% market share followed by Crucial capturing 11% and Kingston at third position with 9% share. In the External SSD market, Samsung stood at the top spot with 53% market share followed by WD at 40%. WD shipments increased by 4% QoQ, while Samsung shipments growing 8% QoQ. Seagate captured the third position with 6% market share, with its shipments growing 8% QoQ.
CMR anticipates the Internal SSD market to grow 30-35% YoY by the end of CY2021 on the back of increased SSD awareness, superior features over traditional HDDs and cost effectiveness. External SSDs are also expected to grow ~50% YoY on a small base.
According to Shipra, “With the arrival of the festive season, Q3 2021 is expected to rebound. SSDs are becoming the mainstream drives clearly indicating a positive future. Gaming sector will further give a significant push. Supreme features of NVMe SSDs will ensure its noteworthy contribution along with robust demand for SATA SSDs. The need for better performance and extraordinary experience will drive the future growth of external SSDs.”
Notes for Editors
- CyberMedia Research (CMR) is a pioneering market intelligence and consulting firm that runs a comprehensive quarterly market update on the India Consumer Storage market. CMR’s India Quarterly Consumer SSD Market Review covers Internal SSD and External SSD sold via distributors and retail outlets. The report accounts for ‘legal’ shipments but does not include bundled or ‘grey’ market shipments or units brought from abroad by individuals as a part of personal baggage.
- CMR uses the term “shipments” to describe the number of Internal SSD devices leaving the factory premises for OEM sales or stocking by distributors and retailers. For the convenience of media, the term ‘shipment’ is sometimes replaced by “sales” in the press release, but this reflects the market size in terms of units of hard drive devices and not their absolute value.
– ENDS –
About CyberMedia Research and Services Ltd
A part of CyberMedia (www.cybermedia.co.in), South Asia’s largest specialty media and media services group, CyberMedia Research (CMR) has been a front runner in market research, consulting and advisory services since 1986.
CMR offers research-based insights and marketing consultancy services – market intelligence, market sizing, stakeholder satisfaction, growth opportunity identification, incubation advisory, and go-to-market services – covering the Information Technology, Telecommunications, Semiconductors, Electronics & Smart Infrastructure, Government, Energy & Utilities and Lifesciences sectors, as well as the large enterprise, SMB and consumer user segments.
CMR’s core value proposition encompasses a rich portfolio of syndicated reports and custom research capabilities across multiple industries, markets and geographies. CMR’s forthcoming studies include stakeholder satisfaction surveys, mega spender assessments and market mapping studies for these domains.
CyberMedia Research, a division of Cyber Media Research and Services Ltd., is a member of the Market Research Society of India (www.mrsi.in).