- WD leads the overall Internal SSD market in Q3 2021.
- NVMe SSD shipments registered 97% QoQ growth in Q3 2021.
- External SSD market shipments up 223% QoQ in Q3 2021 on a small base.
Gurugram/New Delhi, November 26, 2021: According to CMR’s India Hard Drive Market Review for Q3 CY2021, the India Consumer Internal SSD market (SATA & PCIe/NVMe) shipments recorded significant 125% growth QoQ. The overall market also registered huge 216% growth YoY.
“This QoQ growth is attributed to the lifting up of the lockdown after the second COVID-19 wave along with the arrival of festive season. Historically, Q3 has always recorded increase and this year was no exception. Despite supply constraints, the rise in shipments was aided by better preparation by the brands supported by robust consumer demand. Notable contribution by the leading brands and significant rise in shipments of the lesser-known brands further amped up the market. Increased external SSD affordability coupled with attractive deals catalyzed its market growth,” observed Shipra Sinha, Lead Analyst, CyberMedia Research.
Q3 CY2021 Highlights
In the overall India Consumer Internal SSD market, WD captured 13% market share followed by Crucial capturing 11% and Kingston at third position with 8% share. Others Branded category contribution was 39%.
In the External SSD market, WD replaced Samsung and captured the top spot with 47% market share. Samsung dropped down to the second position with 45% share. WD shipments increased significantly by 282% QoQ, while Samsung shipments went up by 179% QoQ. Seagate stood at the third position with 6% market share, its shipments went up by 214% QoQ.
CMR anticipates the consumer SSD market to grow >50% YoY by the end of CY2021 on back of increased SSD awareness, affordability and comparatively better features than the traditional HDDs.
According to Shipra, “Q4 shipments are expected to drop down due to continued supply side challenges. However, brands that are able to plan their supplies in advance will be able to fulfill the strong demand in the end of the festive season and attractive offers. Above all, SSDs have a bright future owing to their wide penetration. NVMe SSDs contribution will be significant with a strong demand for SATA SSDs. Exclusive gaming SSDs will also play an important role in the overall market growth.”
Notes for Editors
- CyberMedia Research (CMR) is a pioneering market intelligence and consulting firm that runs a comprehensive quarterly market update on the India Consumer Storage market. CMR’s India Quarterly Consumer SSD Market Review covers Internal SSD and External SSD sold via distributors and retail outlets. The report accounts for ‘legal’ shipments but does not include bundled or ‘grey’ market shipments or units brought from abroad by individuals as a part of personal baggage.
- CMR uses the term “shipments” to describe the number of Internal SSD devices leaving the factory premises for OEM sales or stocking by distributors and retailers. For the convenience of media, the term ‘shipment’ is sometimes replaced by “sales” in the press release, but this reflects the market size in terms of units of hard drive devices and not their absolute value.
– ENDS –
About CyberMedia Research and Services Ltd
A part of CyberMedia (www.cybermedia.co.in), South Asia’s largest specialty media and media services group, CyberMedia Research (CMR) has been a front runner in market research, consulting and advisory services since 1986.
CMR offers research-based insights and marketing consultancy services – market intelligence, market sizing, stakeholder satisfaction, growth opportunity identification, incubation advisory, and go-to-market services – covering the Information Technology, Telecommunications, Semiconductors, Electronics & Smart Infrastructure, Government, Energy & Utilities and Lifesciences sectors, as well as the large enterprise, SMB and consumer user segments.
CMR’s core value proposition encompasses a rich portfolio of syndicated reports and custom research capabilities across multiple industries, markets and geographies. CMR’s forthcoming studies include stakeholder satisfaction surveys, mega spender assessments and market mapping studies for these domains.
CyberMedia Research, a division of Cyber Media Research and Services Ltd., is a member of the Market Research Society of India (www.mrsi.in).