- 5” External HDD registered 67% YoY growth.
- 1TB and 2TB capacities collectively contributed 72% share.
- NAS shipments up 29% YoY.
Gurugram/New Delhi, May 27 2021: According to CMR’s India External Hard Drive Market Review for Q1 CY2021, the India External HDD (2.5” & 3.5”) market recorded 32% YoY growth in Q1 CY2021. On a QoQ basis, the market shipments increased by 20%.
“External HDDs have been the consumers favorite when it comes to cost effective extensive storage solution. Brands were well prepared for the continued pent-up demand and Chinese New Year in Q1, thus elevating the overall market shipments. Notable growth in the 3.5” segment was also one of the crucial growth factors. Furthermore, huge data generation in the current homebound period gave a significant push to the external HDD demand,” observed Shipra Sinha, Analyst – Industry Intelligence Group (IIG), CyberMedia Research (CMR).
Q1 CY2021 Highlights
Seagate stood at the top of the leaderboard with 47% market share followed by WDC at 42% in the overall external HDD category.
1TB and 2TB both captured 36% market share each.2TB capacity shipments increased by 52% YoY.4TB was the next preferred capacity with 12% market share and its shipments growing 79% YoY.
Dual bay NAS was the top contributor with 49% market share with its shipments going up by 13% YoY. QNAP (30%) was the leader followed by Netgear (25%) and WD (23%).
CMR anticipates external HDD (2.5” and 3.5”) shipments to grow marginally by 3-5% YoY by the end of CY2021 owing to market transition towards SSDs.
According to Shipra, “Q2 is expected to slow down due to the current COVID-19 second wave, statewide lockdowns and supply disruptions. Moreover, SSDs superior features over HDDs will affect its demand. Despite all, a positive future growth is expected due to the accelerated digital transformation and spur in technological innovation. Also, with external SSD being comparatively expensive and at a budding stage, external HDD market will have room to grow. NAS devices will continue to gain traction as they are the optimum solution for personal cloud storage,”
Notes for Editors
- CyberMedia Research (CMR) is a pioneering market intelligence and consulting firm that runs a comprehensive quarterly market update on the India Consumer Storage market. CMR’s India Quarterly Hard Drives Market Review covers External HDD, NAS, Surveillance HDD sold via distributors and retail outlets. The report accounts for ‘legal’ shipments, but does not include bundled or ‘grey’ market shipments or units brought from abroad by individuals as a part of personal baggage.
- CMR uses the term “shipments” to describe the number of hard drive devices leaving the factory premises for OEM sales or stocking by distributors and retailers. For the convenience of media, the term ‘shipment’ is sometimes replaced by “sales” in the press release, but this reflects the market size in terms of units of hard drive devices and not their absolute value.
– ENDS –
About CyberMedia Research and Services Ltd
A part of CyberMedia (www.cybermedia.co.in), South Asia’s largest specialty media and media services group, CyberMedia Research (CMR) has been a front runner in market research, consulting and advisory services since 1986.
CMR offers research-based insights and marketing consultancy services – market intelligence, market sizing, stakeholder satisfaction, growth opportunity identification, incubation advisory, and go-to-market services – covering the Information Technology, Telecommunications, Semiconductors, Electronics & Smart Infrastructure, Government, Energy & Utilities and Lifesciences sectors, as well as the large enterprise, SMB and consumer user segments.
CMR’s core value proposition encompasses a rich portfolio of syndicated reports and custom research capabilities across multiple industries, markets and geographies. CMR’s forthcoming studies include stakeholder satisfaction surveys, mega spender assessments and market mapping studies for these domains.
CyberMedia Research, a division of Cyber Media Research and Services Ltd., is a member of the Market Research Society of India (www.mrsi.in).